Subject: FW: Lightwave problem with Diamond GT driver solved
From: Iain Young <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 19 Feb 1996 07:30:15 -0800

>I've solved the display glitch problem that I have had with Lightwave
>Intel. (All revs) and Windows 95.
>
>After I installed the new Diamond GT display drivers, Lightwave (and
>only Lightwave) had a bad display glitch. The wireframe preview
>function was unusable, and Modeler also had a strange offset to part
>of the screen. The new GT drivers were otherwise superior, since they
>allowed tweaking the monitor refresh rate, among other things. So I
>would reset to the original Win 95 CD version S3 drivers when using
>Lightwave, and use the Diamond GT drivers the rest of the time.
>
>I finally got the answer to solve the problem with the new GT drivers,
>and Lightwave displays perfectly now.
>
>In case anyone else has had this or similar problems with a display
>driver, the fix was easy. Just change the Hardware Acceleration
>setting for the Graphics display. I had to bump mine down 2 notches to
>make the Lightwave problem go away. This setting is found in:
>
>Control Panel
>     System
>          Performance
>               Graphics
>                    Hardware Acceleration
>
>Although you would suspect that screen updates would be slower or
>something, since the acceleration slider was moved downwards, I have
>noticed no change in screen performance, and my strange screen
>glitches are gone.

Hmm, well I tried this on my machine, (the display was acting in the same   
way as mentioned above), and when rebooting, it crashed the whole system   
(saying that windows had caused a general protection fault!!!). I finally   
managed to get the system running again by going into safe mode, and   
reinstalling the default S3 display drivers (after a lot of effort and   
coffee!!) using the add new hardware search. So beware.... use this fix   
at your own risk, (I wish diamond would bring out some non-buggy drivers   
for their card <sigh>).

Cheers,
Iain.
email : [email-masked]
 ----
"From a computers point of view, I find your faith in technology rather   
amusing"